Bishop's Wood History
Bishop's Wood is steeped in history and probably derives its name from the country residence of the early Bishops of Lichfield. Boscobel House, the famous King Charles Oak tree, Whiteladies Monastery, The Blackladies and Weston Park are all within easy walking distance.
Bishop’s Wood was created a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1852, the Church of St John the Baptist having been consecrated in 1851. It is a cruciform building, built from local red sandstone, in Early English style, to a design by G. T. Robinson.
The old school and schoolhouse, built about the same date, stands to the east of the church and has now been converted to a dwelling house.
There are several scenic walks in the area and damson trees can still be spotted in many of the hedgerows. They are the remnants of a past era, when damsons were collected and sent to Liverpool for dyeing naval uniforms, the pulp being sent to the jam factories.