Council Badge of Office
The council's badge of office is simple yet it symbolises the growth of the parish area, from prehistoric times to the millennium.
The stark white shield recalls the area first wholly covered by a mighty glacier, then by a vast lake, and finally by Brewood Forest.
Quartering the shield is a cross, fashioned in the style of Giffard’s Cross. It symbolises the Giffard family who settled in Chillington in 1178 AD and became Lords of the Manor.
The top left quarter holds the square cross of St. Chad, memorising his visit and work in the district 670 AD and later the
dedication of the Parish Church in 1220 AD.
The top right quarter is occupied by the fleur-de-lys and ancient symbol of “Our Lady St. Mary”, who shares the dedication of the Parish Church with St. Chad. The Catholic Church, designed by Pugin, is also dedicated to St. Mary.
The Boscobel Oak in the bottom left quarter recalls a divided parish during the Parliamentary War, 1642-49 AD, and the fugitive King Charles II who, after defeat at Worcester, found shelter at Boscobel, Chillington and Grange Farm Coven.
The “Torch of Learning” in the bottom right-hand quarter represents schools and famous scholars of the District. The old Grammar School was re-established during Mary Tudor’s reign, 1553-58 AD, following the “theft of emoluments” probably by Henry VIII. It became the “Alma Mater” of many famous men including Dr Knightly, John Turner the potter and Thomas Andrew Walker the world famous engineer responsible for the building of the Severn Tunnel, Manchester Ship Canal, part of London’s Underground Railway, the Buenos Aries Docks and the Canadian Trunk Railway.
Oak branches bearing acorns represent Council projects brought to fruition. The unbroken rope circle completes the design and represents the unity of Council members which ensures its strength.
Being within Staffordshire County, it is fitting that the Chairman’s Badge of Office is suspended by the “Staffordshire Knot”.
The Chairman’s Badge of Office was designed by Joan Walker in 1957 who also provided the foregoing description.