Forum > Possibility of Fracking in local area

I am concerned about the possibility of fracking in our and bordering areas. Is there any information available or a group set up that has an interest?

For those that are not to sure about this, a good start is to take a look at the website www.dangersoffracking.com

I see that DECC License blocks are issued for many ST, TF and SY post code areas.

Any sensible responses would be appreciated.
March 6, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterChris Brown
Hi Chris, thank you for your enquiry. The Parish Council has not been made aware of the possibility of fracking in the area and I am unaware of any interest groups at present. However, if anything does emerge, the Council will endeavour to let parishioners know as soon as possible. Please let us know of any developments that you hear about. Meanwhile, I will take a look at the website that you have listed.
March 18, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMaggie O'Brien
Thanks for the reply Maggie.

The government have a site which as far as I understand lists all of the onshore areas for which they have given licences to energy companies. This is broken down into quadrants and postcodes. The ST post code is featured and companies who have the licence are detailed.

Whilst I have not looked into the activities of those companies and cannot comment on the geological suitability for such activities such as fracking it seems evident that the possibility is there.

https://www.og.decc.gov.uk/information/licence_reports/onshorebyblock.html

If anyone can throw any further light on the situation or can see something I am missing I would be glad to hear.
March 20, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterChris Brown
I would not endorse any information given by the website 'dangersoffracking'. It is a USA website and the comments that it makes (such as to the 'Safe Water Act' ) refer to USA legislation not UK.

There are a number of good programmes produced on the merits or otherwise of Fracking. If you are interested then I would recommend as informative the following:-
BBC Inside Science Radio 4 26/9/2013
Bang goes the Theory BBC 1 Fracking
or even (although it is the subject of a web fight between supporters and opponents) Wikipedia!
All these can be accessed via Google.

The ST etc that are referred to are NOT postcodes. They are the licence block numbers used by HMG when awarding licences. Blocks starting with ST cover an area from the Severn estuary to the Dorset coast. However there appear to be two licences that cover an area from the east of the Wrekin into the western end of south Staffordshire. The one which may reach Brewood on it's eastern edge is licence number PEDL195. The licence is held by GP Energy Ltd which is a subsidiary of Dart Energy (EUROPE) Ltd. It was granted on 1/07/2008 and runs until 30/01/2039. The licence only authorises exploration NOT extraction. This means that the company could seek to drill for exploratory purposes anytime in the next 26 years (or not at all). Even if the company decides to drill for exploration it cannot just drive up and drill a hole in the ground. There are other consents that are needed.
These two licences granted to the west of us appear to be very much 'outliers' as there are far more interesting potential fields elsewhere in the country.
April 4, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterPeter Knight
Peter,

Thanks for the reply and clearing up my interpretation of the DECC block codes and that there is a licence granted which could mean that exploration could take place nearby.

I would much rather be aware of the situation than turn a blind eye.

In regards to your comments relating to the "dangersoffracking" website I do take on board your comments relating to US legislation and it should be considered in conjunction with other research and information, however it illustrates the principles of the activity of fracking simply and effectively.

I have watched several programmes including the ones you have mentioned and whilst the topic may be subjective, fracking is an activity I do not want taking place anywhere near where I live. Particularly when the safety of my surrounding environment is unnecessarily at risk in the hands of an energy company and a drilling team hoping not to have a bad day.

I am sure in time areas that have been subjected to fracking will demonstrate that we are no better than the americans and sadly for those affected through illness, contamination and plummeting land values there will be no consolation.

Lets hope the energy companies stay far far away from us.
April 7, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterChris Brown